This map shows the area before coal mining really took hold of the valley. There were only 3 deep pits working here at this time although many levels (drift mines) are noted on this map.
This part of the Garw Valley eventually had 6 working coal mines and innumerable coal levels (drift mines). The collieries were:
- Lluest – working in 1880 and closed in 1902
- Ffaldau – sunk in 1877 and closed in 1985
- Darren – sunk in 1880s and closed in 1924
- Glenafon – sunk in 1903 and closed in 1959
- International – sunk in 1890-1893 and closed in 1967
- Garw – sunk in 1883 and closed in 1985.
You can explore this map yourself on the Old-Maps website.