about bernard ingram links
home maps
stories
closures
collieries men at work machines

Maps

Garw Valley 1884

Map of the Garw Valley in 1884

The upper part of the Garw Valley

This map shows the area before coal mining really took hold of the valley. There were only 3 deep pits working here at this time although many levels (drift mines) are noted on this map.

This part of the Garw Valley eventually had 6 working coal mines and innumerable coal levels (drift mines). The collieries were:

Lluest - working in 1880 and closed in 1902, Ffaldau - sunk in 1877 and closed in 1985, Darren - sunk in 1880s and closed in 1924, Glenafon - sunk in 1903 and closed in 1959, International - sunk in 1890-1893 and closed in 1967, Garw - sunk in 1883 and closed in 1985.

Other old maps:

garw | ogmore | llynfi


Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey
about the author links
home maps
stories
closures
collieries men at work machines

©all words and pictures on this site are copyright of Bernard Ingram and Black Cat Design